Tuesday 30 April 2013

COCO VEGGIE



This is a perfect 'kick start' the metabolism smoothie first thing, and is also great for pre-run fuel to aid fat adapting. This is full of electrolytes to hydrate, antioxidants and vitamins to replenish and waken the body fast. 

Fat adapting is where the body is forced to use fat stores (which we have plenty on empty) as a preferred energy source, over quick release carbohydrates. I find if I use high carbohydrates as an energy fuel when exercising, it burns me out quicker and drops my sugar levels much faster. 

Although we can exercise on empty using our fat stores, I only recommend this for short periods, which is very effective a few times a week. If you plan to go to the gym or run longer than 30 minutes, a good source of calories is best to provide consistent performance, the muscles strong and an energy to last longer before your body fatigues...

Using fats combined with fruits and vegetables, will not only fill you up for longer, but also provide sustained energy and calories for the exercise about to take place...

I do not follow a low carbohydrate diet, just a balanced healthy and nutritious one. This is not a smoothie I use everyday, I still have a diet with complex carbohydrates, but I find this is very efficient for 3 times a week before my training runs.

Yes this combination works well for me, and I have experimented plenty with different energy fuels whilst training. Experimenting with diet is key to finding the balance that will work well for you too...

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 scoop Vegan Blend
2x Broccoli Florets
50g Blueberries
1x tbs Chia Seeds
1x tbs Olive Oil
100ml Vita Coco water
100ml Pomegranate pure juice (not concentrate)

METHOD:
Add the vegan blend, broccoli, blueberries to a blender. Then top with the juice, water, chia and oil. Blend on pulse or a high setting until thoroughly smooth.

Enjoy and go Run Free!


UltraLuke


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments on nutrition for running here. I would like to hear about your favourite blends too! Luke